• Welcome to the Dino Crisis Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Dino Crisis series.

Register Log in

Fan-related question

Angel

Admin
So, some hideously disjointed questions from me (I've not had lunch yet, so I know I'm being all confusing right now):

1. Can you play a game several times through but still not be a fan?

2. Can you be considered a fan just by virtue of playing a game in the first place?

3. If you are not an established fan, do you still feel entitled to still comment on the game in question or do you feel you should leave that to people who are fans?

4. Are you automatically a "hater" because you don't class yourself as a fan of a game/series/franchise?

Just interested in seeing any responses, if you can get through the gibberish of my poor articulation. There is a reason behind some of these questions but I wanted to see replies and opinions first before saying anything more.

Azer249

Steam: Azer249

Indeed you can, you could just rush through the game for things such as achievements. An example of this is me, i played Halo so much and got every achievement on nearly all of the games (as many of you will know i was a Halo Addict) but i didn't class myself as a fan of Reach, mainly because the online sucked, even thought i must have played it through what.. 8 times?

2. Can you be considered a fan just by virtue of playing a game in the first place?

I wouldn't say you are a fan if you just play the game, but more so you have to love it to a large extent. Just because people have played games doesn't mean they are a fan. I've played so many games it's unreal, i wouldn't class myself as a fan for all of them, infact not even half.

3. If you are not an established fan, do you still feel entitled to still comment on the game in question or do you feel you should leave that to people who are fans?

Depends on what the question is about, if its about more indepth game related giberish, such as Lore of the Elder Scrolls or anything Halo related i feel i can comment on them because i've played every single one and explored them to there fullest. But for instance, i wouldn't feel comfortable answering questions on Fable 2, yes i played the game multiple times and it was fun, but i don't know anything about its lore, quests or story. I just played it because it looked fun.

4. Are you automatically a "hater" because you don't class yourself as a fan of a game/series/franchise?

Nope, i'm not a fan of some franchises such as COD, but just look how many people are. I don't see the need to hate on a game if i don't like it. People are entitled to there own opinion so why is there a need for it.

queenofdisco

Amazing Horse
Ooh, intriguing topic.

Yeah, I'd say so. I play a lot of games, but I there isn't many I consider myself a "fan" of. To be a fan, I must enthuse about it, follow it and become enraged when someone says any bad about it, so I just learned to not become such a fangirl about things and just go with ze flow. "KOTOR sucks lawl." "k." And it's as easy as that. To answer your question though with more detail, you can, because playing a game doesn't make you a-- Oh wait-

Playing a game doesn't make you a fan. As I said, you must enthuse about it and become butthurt at every little troll. Religiously follow the game and worship the Earth that the game developers walk on. I have a bust of Peter Molyneux locked up in my cupboard, y'know... Just kidding, we all know Fable is dead to me.

Oh, indeed. Any form of art is there to be critiqued, and by god will I critique it with all my might. If I don't like a game, you'll know about it. And if the fans don't like it, well then they can kindly... go away or something.

Nah, of course not. For me, I'm very rarely a "hater" -- about anything. If I don't enjoy a game, that doesn't necessarily mean I hate it, it's just not my thing and I won't play it again, and you'll know that much. It's as simple as that.

La Femme Fatale

Super Moderator
I'd imagine so. I don't think I personally could, because I have a relatively short attention span and if I don't like something in the first fifteen minutes I'll usually turn it off. I consider a fan someone who really enthuses about a game and invests time and money into that franchise, as opposed to someone who is just playing for trophies or whatever. Although that person is probably also investing time and money so I dunno.:p
No. You can try a lot of new things without being a fan of them. Look at music for example - just because you listen to a song doesn't mean you are a fan of the artist.
I think if you've played or otherwise experienced the game in question and have enough knowledge to y'know, have an opinion that is relatively well-informed, then why not? We can't just up and say 'only Resident Evil fans are allowed to comment on the Resident Evil games'.
I think you're a 'hater' (*cringe* I hate that word) if you actually dislike the game and express yourself as such. If you don't classify yourself as a fan... you just aren't a fan.

The Nameless One

Depends on the reason why your playing it through that many times. If its because you are trying to do things differently but can't enjoy the game as much as you think you should, then yes, you can play through it multiple times and not be a fan. I've played Skyrim several times, but I am not a fan of it. I try to make myself enjoy it as much as possible, but I can't find the motivation to do anything other than the main story. Though recently I've started to try out mage characters and enjoyed it more.

I wouldn't think so. Being a fan means you really like that particular game or series.

No I will comment on a game if I don't like an aspect or if its the opposite, and I really loved one part of the gameplay. When it comes to canon and lore for a game I'm not entirely devoted to though, I leave that to the hardcore fans of the game/series.

No. You become a hater if you really hate the game. I don't use the term though, as I prefer to accept that other people have different opinions to me, rather than calling them petty names.

TRA Rotid

I am a fan of the Metal Gear Solid series yet I have only played MGS 1 for around 30 minutes tops.
Granted, I've sat through the playthroughs of 3 of them (live, not Let's Plays on Youtube) so I actually know how they work and what's happening.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Yes. Plenty of times I've played games several times through for a later impression. If a game is supposed to be incredible and I like the concept, but for whatever reason it just doesn't grab me. Sometimes I'll become a fan from giving it another chance, like with Mass Effect; other times I just can't get immersed, which happened with Morrowind.

Yes. I think being a fan isn't how much you play the game, rather how much you like it. It's highly subjective. I consider myself to be a fan of any game I happen to like. If I have anything better than a neutral opinion, I'm a fan of it. There are some elitists out there who would disagree because they think that in order to be a fan you must beat the game on omega OMGCRAZY HARD DIFFICULTYX9000 and study every aspect of the games universe, but I don't think it's fair to judge how much of a fan someone is. You either are or you aren't. Simple.

Anyone can have an opinion on anything. I've never really played Modern Warfare 2 but I'm allowed to have an opinion based on my other experiences with it. I'm allowed to dislike the game because the majority of my friends list would never play anything else. Could I have an opinion on the story presentation or combat mechanics? No. But you can form an opinion of something a number of ways. Hands-on experience isn't the only one.

No. As I mentioned earlier, I think fans are just people who have an opinion of the game that is more positive than indifference. You can be indifferent and not a hater. In fact, you can hate a game and not be a hater. I think a hater is someone who, for whatever reason, feels the need to talk badly about the game to the fans of it and cause drama. Like, I think Madden is a terrible game that should be taken behind the shed and shot, but I've never gone out of my way to preach it to people who like those games. If, for one reason or another, we end up talking about it in regular conversation, then that's fine. I have an opinion of the game and I'll share it; but I wouldn't go up to someone in the middle of playing it and scream "OMG THESE ANIMATIONS ARE SOOO BAD ARE YOU SURE THIS WASN'T MADE FOR THE GAMECUBE??? THE ENTIRE GRAPHICS ENGINE MUST BE BUILT AROUND HOW SHINY THE HELMETS ARE LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL"