1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you thinking?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Meg, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Magnolia Grandiflora

Magnolia Grandiflora The Invisible Woman

Yeah I thought that for a while too but I was cool with it just being part raptor. It made sense to me given the emphasis the books put on how intelligent dinosaurs, especially raptors, are/were so I was kind of expecting it but it wasn't like the ending of the second Thor movie or anything. (I was super ****ed that I predicted that like an hour before it happened!) It was something I expected but I was still like O.O when it was revealed and they turned on him.

La Femme Fatale likes this.
  2. La Femme Fatale

La Femme Fatale Super Moderator

I enjoyed Roose this season as well. He almost has the same sort of presence that Tywin had - I enjoy his ability to totally shut down Ramsay the way Tywin was (somewhat) able to with Joffrey. Also, you know he's supposed to be a villain, but apart from killing Robb (who, let's face it, had it coming), we haven't really seen him do anything terribly awful. But then again, I suppose he sanctions what Ramsay does.

I miss Charles Dance being in this show... I know Tywin is dead in the books but I think GoT kind of suffers from his absence. And I get it - Tommen is a boy, but man there were a few times I really, really wanted Joffrey back.

I wasn't crazy with Jaime's arc this season, to be honest. In the grand scheme of things I imagine what took place in Dorne is important to next season's King's Landing arc, but I was never really impressed with any of the Dorne scenes in themselves. It was more than a little cliche that Jaime and Bronn made it to the water gardens at precisely the same time the Sand Snakes decided to attack Myrcella. The writers have for the most part managed to avoid weak plot points like these but Dorne is chalked full of them.

I also don't get/can't sympathize with Ellaria's anger toward the Lannisters - I mean, it's not as if Oberyn was forced to champion Tyrion and it's also sort of his own damn fault for showboating. So Ellaria targeting Myrcella to get to Cersei was also a weak plot for me. I understand that it plays out differently in the books. And don't get me started on the Sand Snakes. The one has nice tits but that's just about the only positive thing I can say about them.

I hear you. My (ex) mayor couldn't remember whether he had smoked crack cocaine because he was in a drunken stupor at the time - we had the king of gaffes over here. :p

3. Rogozhin

Rogozhin New Member

That was your mayor? He actually wasn't judged too harshly here, as far as I can tell. Drunken stupors and cocaine seem easier to brush off than the usual shady business the politicians get up to, at least from afar, and for a country of alcoholics.

So I've seen all but the last two now. Very surprising, really. The big issue with that last book is that instead of coalescing it splatters all over the place into 900 plot lines that almost converge, then don't. When it's done you're both exhausted and mildly frustrated, but not much else.

Presumably these writers thought the same. Unless futility and nihilism are the point, and they might be, it's a lot of pain for no real gain. Instead of having Tyrion wait outside the desert city for 60 years, they just send him in. What a relief. Instead of burying Sansa in dullness and inventing a substitute to marry Ramsay, they merge the plotlines. Another relief. I doubt even HBO would film, implied or not, what his wife undergoes in those novels.

The impressive part is how the plot is mostly unchanged except in detail. Characters have been shifted around, more details changed, but unlike in the past mostly for actual efficiency and without breaking anything. Except Jaime. He was smashed to pieces. Where's the alienation and discontentment and falling out with Cersei? Seems like he got two episodes of writing and was promptly forgotten. That Dornish scenery was pretty enough, but it all falls apart when given the slightest examination. And they encourage more than slight examination.

Anyway, Dany's implied desire to smash the feudal dynamic instead of more 'I am the Queen!' was unexpected, though she ought to read some books on historical materialism first. They finally finished with the other tease and showed off the ice guys in full, and with much better effects. Jon's a leader, and badass, and all that, and there's the enemy, and we can all exhale, though probably not for long.

It's not a bad thing. People watch 50 hours of something and begin to wonder if there's a point, and they're starting to hint that there is. That heavy feeling of futility doesn't seem to be there, though that's not necessarily a bad thing either, but I prefer my nihilism in worlds where it's not the only obvious conclusion. Otherwise it's a bit... flat. Like, if this ended with everyone dead, you'd just sit back and say 'Oh. Okay.' and that would be it.

4. Jen

Jen New Member

You know that feeling where you feel like you're the only person who sees someone's true colours and nobody else does, and everyone else fawns over that person? It's annoying as hell.

5. La Femme Fatale

He was, unfortunately. Rob Ford has a lot of shady politician business, it's just overshadowed by the crack and nearly everything else that comes out of his mouth.
    His break-up with Cersei is sure taking its sweet time. It seems like it's going to happen on her terms rather than his, considering
    Myrcella's death
    in the last episode. Which is kind of disappointing considering he seems to leave Cersei of his own volition in the books, but we'll see.

Have you finished the season yet?

6. Rogozhin

Rogozhin New Member

Speaking of shady business, our Speaker was just sacked forcibly resigned for, among other things, spending $5k on an hour long helicopter ride to a party fundraiser. lol. Who's surprised? Anyone who likes online shopping just realised the AUD's worthless. No wonder the usual, well, decadence, is only intolerable after all our favourite imported junk is a third more expensive.

Cersei seemed to get kinder treatment all around. Aside from the religious thing, which may have worked better for her being less blatantly evil. Must have been fun to film. But the Dorne plot was dull, achieved nothing, had cartoon villains, and not much else. They showed with Dany they can write original plots well, so who knows what happened.

The finale was confusing. The new thing with Stannis actually worked, or at least it was told properly. I still think it was an awful choice, but the showrunners always hated Stannis. But at least they built it up. As I said, I watched it with my father, and he called that well before it happened. Then they pull the surprise at the end and it was just... oh.

No tension, no build-up. Unless I missed something. If it was just about the wildlings why not just... not open the gate? Tell them all to come back in summer. Instead they do the thing after 50000 wildlings are already in the lounge. Alliser did it because he was the only NW character of note, not because it made sense.

It should have felt less contrived and more inevitable; the result of dear leader isolating himself and making 'tough' decisions nobody likes. They hate him, but they need him. Then he goes too far, especially after a certain letter they didn't bother showing; crucially they start to think he's turning the place into a private fiefdom. In this version they could have nailed the script to their cross and had him read that. At least he wouldn't have went out looking so bewildered.

No doubt the victim will be fine, but I sort of hope they don't get too magical about it. Otherwise it's hard to complain much. Next year I'll be thrown in jail for watching it if Foxtel have their way. That may be hyperbole, but nobody would be surprised if it wasn't.

7. Jen

Jen New Member

Finding myself getting more impatient with people lately. I'm getting the urge to challenge people on the things they say that I don't agree with more often. Perhaps it's just frustration over my current situation spilling over.

Also, hi. Haven't been here for a while. ;)

8. La Femme Fatale

I say go for it, lady. Nothing wrong with throwing in some spice every once in a while. ;)

Jen likes this.
  9. Jen

Jen New Member

It's getting more and more tempting, believe me. :p

10. Jen

Jen New Member

I'm getting really annoyed and I know it's stupid. But it's frustrating how nobody sees through you like I do... You're a sanctimonious b*tch.

11. La Femme Fatale

I'm like 99% sure I'm the most fair and reasonable mod in the world.

Magnolia Grandiflora likes this.
  12. Jen

Jen New Member

Is it just me and you that check in here every once in a while now, Femme? :p

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  13. Krskull

Krskull Kamen Rider

OH WOW. totally forgot that this place existed. :D

14. Jen

Jen New Member

Haha. Apparently I was wrong in my last post. :p

15. La Femme Fatale

I think I'm going to be wrapping up my membership/moderatorship at REN by the end of the year, to be honest. I'm a bit too old now and I generally find that I have little in common with the majority of the members - and I can sort of sense I'm not well-liked anymore haha. I'll probably still check here from time to time, as a Dino Crisis reboot is really the only video game I'd have any sort of interest in, but maybe this is a quiet heads up REN might be looking for another mod soon. ;)

16. Krskull

Krskull Kamen Rider

That right there is me.

17. Jen

Jen New Member

Hmm. I kind of think the opposite, you both seem well-liked to me. As for having little in common, I can understand that because I feel that way sometimes too. I still just post whatever crap comes into my mind though, haha. :)

Magnolia Grandiflora and Krskull like this.
  18. Krskull

Krskull Kamen Rider

The background pic of this forum always gives me the creeps. i feel that a Raptor is lurking and is gonna jump at me any moment.

19. Jen

Jen New Member

Hi guys. Thought I'd pop by. Anyone around? :)

20. La Femme Fatale

Don't check regularly anymore but still get an email when someone posts in this thread, aha.