1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexuality

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Storyofmylife, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Storyofmylife

Storyofmylife ♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Lets talk about your sexuality and what comes with it. I was just lurking the interwebs and saw this...

[​IMG]

I had no idea Asexuals had their own flag, that's pretty neat. ^

Then I did some searching and Bisexuals have flags too... it's pretty cute. ;)

[​IMG]

Oh and here is the straight flag.
    [​IMG]
    Funny how it's black and white. :p

Anyway, I liked how this thread went on REN so I decided to make one here to see everyone's view on it and have a further discussion about it. What are you? How do you feel about it, and so on. :)

2. Meg

Meg Lalalalala

I like how the asexual flag is way bigger than the others. Just goes to show you how much more awesome it is to be in the asexual camp. :cool:

With that said, I have no idea what else I can say in this thread since I've no sexual desires of any kind. :oops:

Romero and Storyofmylife like this.
  3. Storyofmylife

Sexuality doesn't have to be sexual ;) You can talk more about Asexuality if you want, your peeves with the people who don't get it, and your stance on issues involving LGBT+all those other letters community. :p

One thing I hate about people's assumptions of bisexuals is the fact they cheat or are slutty. I'm a virgin and one-on-one type of person/romantic and will not be having any part of a 'threesome' thank you very much. Guys seem to not understand this at all lol

Romero and Meg like this.
  4. Meg

Meg Lalalalala

I think of bisexuals as people who love twice as much. ;)

And there isn't much for me to say about my lack of sexuality. I feel invisible in the GLBTQ community. I don't even consider myself a part of it.

One thing that really upsets me is when I was asked if being asexual means I don't love at all. ;_; Hm, and living in a world that runs on sex is very frustrating. Like incredibly. Um...I'm a downer in this thread. Imma leave and go play Resistance 3 or something.

Romero likes this.
  5. Storyofmylife

Haha oh hush... I like learning more about it. I know Asexuals love and I know the meaning now, and I can wrap my mind around it.

I feel like you guys need your own community, because ya'll really are ignored unfortunately. /:

Anywho, bisexual's have pretty cool symbols. I'd get this tattooed if I wasn't so far in the closet.

[​IMG]

6. La Femme Fatale

La Femme Fatale Super Moderator

I joke around a lot about being bisexual or gay.. but at the end of the day, I can really only envision myself in an emotional relationship with a man. Girls are fun to dabble with on a night out and I certainly notice an attractive woman when I see one... but that's really as far as it goes for me. I'm actually straight.

Sorry Story. :p

7. Storyofmylife

I feel the opposite strangely enough, but then again my mood and my sexuality shifts from time to time. I love the idea of playing around with a boy, but having a serious committed relationship with a girl. I could never toy around with a girl, I just feel like that would be so wrong, because they're so sensitive... or at least I am. ;_; lol

8. Meg

Meg Lalalalala

Hey now, I was being serious. People say crap like that a lot. That's why I don't like telling people that I'm asexual. I only ever told my mom (who was like: "yeah no kidding") and one of my most trusted friends, and she was really insensitive. ;_;

On a happier note, that's a really cool symbol. :D

9. Storyofmylife

I know you were being serious and I'm saying I understand it. :p I'm sorry people keep throwing sex in your face... I do agree it's a bit much in the media. It's incredibly awkward to be watching a movie with sex scenes with your parents... I almost don't even know what to say when that happens.

I love the movies where they don't show all that, but you get the gist of where they're going. (i.e guy and girl are kissing, close the door, end scene.) We don't have to see the rest. ;)

Romero and Meg like this.
  10. Meg

Meg Lalalalala

Well aren't you just so gosh darn understanding and wonderful. <3

Romero and Storyofmylife like this.
  11. CunningLinguist

CunningLinguist There is no such thing as invisible people.

Dr. Linguist hopes this is a sufficient explanation.

12. Romero

Romero Member Gold Supporter

The world is extremely sex driven and it's annoying sometimes. I think it's a bit offending when people take it for granted that everyone has a sex life, be it with a partner or with oneself. I don't mind innocent jokes, but I do mind when people in full seriousness take it for granted that every adult has a sex life.
    Sexual innuendos can often be fun, but it have happened several times (especially when I was younger) that I didn't realize it was a sexual innuendo before it was too late. Lol...

Last night I saw a documentary on Discovery about sex in America, one of the programs in the "Curiosity" series, a series with many good films on various topics. Apparently several thousand people was part of the study, but asexuality was not mentioned with a word. I understand that they could only have a limited number of people in the film, but they did find space for a single person not interested in sex. Who knows, maybe there was none. ;_;

13. Xranger60

Xranger60 New Member

I can see why someone who is asexual would feel disconcerted by the prevalence of sex, discussion of sex, and images of sex throughout the world. It seems to be a constant across many cultures and societies. But I can also see why the world is that way: asexuals are a very small minority of the world population. At least one 2004 estimate placed asexuals at about 1%:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/10/14/asexual.study/index.html

That same story stated that a large portion of those responding that they did not have sex (the only measure then-available for estimating the amount of asexuals) were either extremely happy or very happy with their lives. That's critical because it's a true indicator that sex is not necessary for one to feel complete. It's unfortunate that your friend can't comprehend that sex is not an overriding necessity in your life.

Sex is a topic that transcends race, gender, ethnicity, and almost all other variables, so it is to be expected that, as a common denominator, it's discussed, mentioned, and displayed frequently.

However, asexuals should not be discouraged, because asexuals are forming groups online and trying to spread awareness. Also, people are increasingly defying description as any particular sexual orientation- such as heterosexual, bisexual, or asexual.

14. queenofdisco

queenofdisco Amazing Horse

I've decided that I am now Homersexual.

[​IMG]

*drools* Yeah baby.

La Femme Fatale and Meg like this.
  15. Meg

Meg Lalalalala

Well yeah. Just because I find it frustrating doesn't mean I don't think people should be allowed to do it. People can talk about whatever they want, but I don't have to like it. :p

16. Xranger60

Xranger60 New Member

Of course not. I wished to convey that despite the pervasiveness of sexual references in society, asexuals can take some solace in that awareness is spreading and their are some groups of people now that are finding strength in association. Or, TLDR; asexuals are awesome ;)

17. Meg

Meg Lalalalala

:cool:

18. Romero

Romero Member Gold Supporter

I think the flags are just silly and I don't like it. I'm not surprised if there's a flag for us hetero-romantic people as well.