Dino Crisis 3 - more connected to the franchise than you'd think

In researching Dino Crisis, it's clear to me that Noboru Sugimura did not intend for a series like Resident Evil, opting more for a series of unrelated events with new characters. Sugimura joined the franchise with writing Dino Crisis 2, and continued with Dino Stalker and Dino Crisis 3. The three are connected to one another in a more subtle way in the background.

For example, the "Caren" androids encountered in Dino Crisis 3 are created based on the 21st century work done by Dr. Jack Morton (Dylan's son?). Morton's androids are featured in Dino Crisis 2 as some of the helmeted "teenagers" (Paula is the only remaining Noah's Ark survivor in the game; the 'teenager' killed just before the Giganotosaurus fight is shown in the ending cutscene to be an android with a HAL-like red LED for an eye).

Then there's MTHR. MTHR is a computer system used by the Noah's Ark team to assist them in their time travel. It goes rogue; seals the timegate and releases the dinosaurs, leading to the deaths of the team. This computer system also genetically-modified at least one dinosaur - a Troodon. MTHR is also the name given to a computer in Dino Crisis 3, which creates genetic monstrosities based on available reptile DNA from the ship's lab when the Ozymandias' crew dies.

La Femme Fatale

Super Moderator
That's an interesting post. Unfortunately I can't really comment as I've never played DC 3, but this is the first I'm hearing of this 'Noboru Sugimura' fellow. Who was he? Sadly, it seems as though his ideas were a tad disastrous for the franchise.

Forerunner

Sugimura was a professional TV writer known for his work on Super Sentai and Kamen Rider. He was brought into Capcom by Yoshiki Okamoto (of "1942" fame) in 1997 to give insight into how the Resident Evil 2 (or 1.5) script should be fixed. He ended up rewriting the entire thing. He then founded Flagship, a video game script writing company, and write the scripts for several series including Resident Evil; Dino Crisis; Clock Tower and Onimusha. As a Flagship author he was automatically Head Writer on any Capcom game he was involved in (except Haunted Ground, where he simply donated a rejected Resident Evul 4 script). He died in February 2005 due to a heart condition. Dino Crisis 3 did have a few co-writers in it; perhaps they did tweaking.

La Femme Fatale

Super Moderator
Ah, thanks for posting. I thought he joined the franchise with DC 2. Do you run the DC Wiki?

Forerunner

Ah, thanks for posting. I thought he joined the franchise with DC 2. Do you run the DC Wiki?
Yeah, I run the Wiki. Since he was associated with Resident Evil 2's success, and was selected for writing the scripts to Resident Evil Zero; Veronica and Resident Evil 4, Shinji Mikami wanted him to work on Dino Crisis 2, which he was producing (along with CV and RE4). Sugimura wasn't in the first game, but he worked on every other (minus the mobile phone game).