What part(s) scared you the most?

La Femme Fatale

Super Moderator
For me it was definitely the T-Rex through the window of the Chief's office in the beginning. Then there was once in the underground area where a cutscene showed the two raptors coming at you in the hall - thank goodness the laser gate thing was on or I'd have been dead meat. And the therizino in the rest station that comes at you if you get close to the elevator... I use all means to avoid that elevator for precisely that reason.

Not particularly scary, but I also found the part with the scientist in the gas chamber kind of disturbing. Gas chambers just make me ridiculously uncomfortable in general.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
I think it was the T-Rex in the Chief's office as well, though I also got scared whenever I heard a door open behind and close behind me and the loud steps of some sort of dino running at me.

Angel

Administrator
Administrator
T-Rex for sure. And the dinosaur that was taking up the whole corridor when I left a room - no warning, just biting.

Haven

The t-rex made me jump, but it wasn't the scariest part. For me it was the first raptor that charges through a door when you're in a room, I just freaked out and didn't know what to do. It really makes you realize that no where is safe.

The T-rex because he reminds me of Nemesis T-Type and Mr. X

I found the "getting chased by T-rex" segments of the game to be the most stressful in-game segments.

tremor

woman of mayhem
If only ya'll could have heard the string of swear words that came out of this innocent mouth of mine when that damn T-Rex showed it's ugly mug....

Rogozhin

The scariest parts were all implied. A misanthropic researcher creates a device referred to as the 'ultimate weapon'. Then it turns out it doesn't work properly and he ends up with time travel instead. That's a great start. But it could be used as a source of infinite renewable energy too, if anyone cared.

So the people he's developing it for want this weapon because the game tells you they do. The heroes have to stop this, except their government wants the exact same thing now that some other country has paid for the project. Maybe they had a debt and deficit disaster in Regina's country, I d0n't know. Maybe SORT are actually a hit squad employed by BP to stop renewables from messing with their profits. They never clear that one up.

In Rick's ending Kirk escapes, presumably to keep working for whoever wants an ultimate weapon and time travel machine. Which is anyone. In Gail's ending Regina takes Kirk and the data home. Effectively the same result. In the 'good' ending the same thing happens, only she doesn't know about it. You have to be some kind of nationalist to cheer for these guys, only we don't even know where they're from.

That happy ending seems more like the prologue to a dystopian nightmare. There are also dinosaurs, I guess, but there's more money in arms trading and energy.

Last edited:

Taylor the Impaler

Third Energy Physics Research
That happy ending seems more like the prologue to a dystopian nightmare. There are also dinosaurs, I guess, but there's more money in arms trading and energy.
That's funny you mention that, because I actually (a little while ago) had written a synopsis for a hypothetical Dino Crisis sequel about just that. I've never shared it with anybody, but maybe I could post some concepts if anyone is interested.

Rogozhin

Well, if you want to post it I'll read it. I think it would be easy to argue that the concept of Third Energy was wasted on a series exclusively about dinosaurs. All sorts of interesting ideas could be explored with the premise of this technology that can either produce near-unlimited renewable energy, be used as a weapon of mass destruction, or be turned into a time travel device.

Lots of ethical questions to be raised there. Infinite energy? My scientific education is too poor to fully understand the applications without research, but it's a pretty big deal. In the game they only seem interested in weapons development, which is a cynical way to look at it. It'd be hilarious if Kirk's research funding was originally cut because of vested interests and nothing else.

Capcom could at least have used the idea in some other series and nobody would have cared. Turn into a sci-fi TV series, or something. I'd probably watch it.

Taylor the Impaler

Third Energy Physics Research
Well, if you want to post it I'll read it.
Thanks, I'll work to assemble a presentation in time. I hope some will find it interesting.
I think it would be easy to argue that the concept of Third Energy was wasted on a series exclusively about dinosaurs. All sorts of interesting ideas could be explored with the premise of this technology that can either produce near-unlimited renewable energy, be used as a weapon of mass destruction, or be turned into a time travel device.
There sure is some untapped potential. I'm sure during the early stages of planning, the writing staff were concerned about how to write a game about dinosaurs that wouldn't end up being harshly judged as a Jurassic Park clone. The result was a vastly intricate back-story for a simple concept.

But I'm very glad they didn't take the easy route, because what came from it was very intriguing.

Last edited: