What did you think of Dino crisis 2

Taylor the Impaler

Third Energy Physics Research
DC2 reminds me of Resident Evil 4. Sure it's a change in origin, but it's still a great game.

I feel DC2 was perhaps in attempt to give Dino Crisis its own identity. With the previous game's common critic of "Just Resident Evil with dinosaurs", its not surprising they attempted to change the DC experience. Of course it's very likely they also wanted to appeal to a wider audience. And while most times changing creative direction ends up badly, I think this wasn't the case. The characters and story were still intact, doing well to follow what was previously established. It functions nicely and sets some decent challenges. Not to mention some impressive animation (at the time) for the dinos.

It expanded on the story of its predecessor while crafting a new play-style for a more excelling outlook. DC2 is an interesting sequel and a decent game in my eyes. Thumbs up!

Last edited:

Taylor the Impaler

@ArabPikachu I meant similar to RE4 in regards to reception and outlook (survival horror shifted more toward action), not quite literally. I think the same criticisms for RE4 can be applied to DC2.

@Taylor the Impaler
Sorry if I sounded like somebody missing your point; On another note, Dino Crisis 2 and RE4 signifying a change of pace for their respective brands is a case in point of history having a tendency to repeat itself.

La Femme Fatale

Super Moderator
Judging by how Regina had her character model based on that of the original Jill Valentine, I'm assuming Regina's modeled after Catherine Disher

Was she modelled after Jill, though? I think Regina is very clearly Japanese in the first game, and then somehow jumps ethnicities and becomes European/North American in the second. I can see similarities in the art for the second game, but not the first.

Even though the concept arts for Regina were different in both Dino Crisis games, Dino Crisis 2 recycled Regina's in-game character model from the original Dino Crisis if I recall correctly.

On another note, I should write a review about Dino Crisis 2 on WordPress.

Taylor the Impaler

It's hard to tell what was intentional or not. I can't recall if it was made clear what country Regina and her team are from. It could be they were from America, and decided to make it more apparent in the sequel.

To me Regina in both cases has a very "general" look. Not meant to be anything specific.

I'm finished with writing my Dino Crisis 2 review on WordPress; On another note, I'm the first person to write a post with the "dino crisis 2" tag on WordPress.
:cool:

La Femme Fatale

Super Moderator
To me Regina in both cases has a very "general" look. Not meant to be anything specific.
Why do you think she looks 'general' in DC? The in-game character model is one thing - I mean, there's she's an attractive amalgamation of pixels and polygons. There's not a whole lot in the line of detail. But, as Maggie said, in both the box and concept art she looks entirely Japanese.

Don't get me wrong - I love Regina and DC, but apart from her hair, her figure and uniform I've never thought that DC 2 Regina resembles the first at all.

Taylor the Impaler

The pre-render cutscenes look that way to me. Not too specific

And DC2

Idk it seems a bit of the same to me. The changes look very minor, not that big a difference. I think this was probably just a technical thing. Could be as simple as just hiring a different artist, rather than something completely intentional.

Last edited:

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
For me it's her entire face. Her face is fuller in DC2 and her eyes and nose are a bit different, giving her a distinctly Asian-less look. Could have been artists but I feel it was intentional.

La Femme Fatale

Super Moderator
The pre-render cutscenes look that way to me. Not too specific
Idk it seems a bit of the same to me. The changes look very minor, not that big a difference. I think this was probably just a technical thing. Could be as simple as just hiring a different artist, rather than something completely intentional.
Hmm. I always figured it was a given that Regina was meant to be Japanese-European/American in the first game and Capcom simply changed their mind and just chose never to address it. Her features in the second game are a great deal softer in all the pictures you posted. As Maggie said, her cheeks are fuller, her eyes, her chin, and her mouth are quite a bit different. I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.. I don't think anything will convince me she's not Japanese in the first game, heh.

Taylor the Impaler

I agree those difference are there, but I just don't think those differences are significant enough to be intentional. And considering she has the same suit, hair, figure, and dialogue - to say she's nearly a different character over minor details seems a little nit-picky.

Her mix of eastern and western features appear present in both games, but just in different ways. Perhaps more lenient to one side from each other, but a mix nonetheless. I suppose that's all I wanted to say.

Last edited:

La Femme Fatale

Super Moderator
I agree those difference are there, but I just don't think those differences are significant enough to be intentional. And considering she has the same suit, hair, figure, and dialogue - to say she's nearly a different character over minor details seems a little nit-picky.
I don't feel I'm being nit-picky. There is an earlier thread here where everyone was in unanimous agreement that she looks different - heck, her appearance has even been noted on the DC wiki. I am, very evidently, not the only person to have noticed the change.

Likewise, I never said she's nearly a different character. When I used the word 'resemble', I was referring solely to her facial features as that was what we were discussing- so I apologize that I did not express myself clearly enough. I was never at any point referring to her personality or dialogue. My only point here has ever been that she looks Japanese in the first game and significantly less Japanese in the second. I don't know if it was intentional or not - to be honest, I don't really care. It's not like this is something Capcom hasn't done before - Jill Valentine has been through her fair share of faces too. :)

In Dino Crisis 1 Regina was given a different render for the cover art in western markets seemingly because Capcom felt her Japanese appearance was "too young" for those over seas... though I can't cite a direct source, I know both faces show up in one of the official Capcom art books.
I've always felt her DC2 renders were something of a merge between both faces from DC1. Though the renders clearly use an all new model, so it could have just been built from the ground up using the original DC1 concept art as a base.
Nevertheless in DC 1 and 2 she has pretty much the exact same model.

More on topic... I have mixed feelings about Dino Crisis 2. On one hand I did find the game fun, even if it were a departure from the first installment. On the other a lot of things bother me about it:
First of all, I couldn't help but feel Regina was delegated to Dylan's co-star who was clearly the game's focus... that just bothered me because I wanted to learn more about, and kick some butt as, Regina not some new guy.
Second, and this may seem strange to some of you, but I was bothered by the removal of animated death scenes. Showing the dinosaurs actually eating things other dinosaurs, furniture, and especially the player character really helped characterize them in DC1. It made me feel like I was stuck in their world where they were at the top of the food chain and I was mere prey struggling to survive. (Plus I get some morbid excitement out of seeing detail in a part of the game few are supposed to see. :p)

I guess in the end I wanted to see Dino Crisis become more focused on the struggle of small groups of humans (and always Regina) in a world where some of nature's most famous predators could be lurking just behind them. I don't mind the action aspects, but it removes the tension I felt these creatures should bring first. If I had it my way, Dino Crisis might follow a similar pattern as Resident Evil Revelations. Story being tense and survival focused, and an action based mode for when you've adjusted to that. (IE, beaten the story.)

Thoix Heoro

That's digusting.
I recently re-played both game recently on PC. I used to love DC2 when I was younger and considered it to be the better game, but now in days I find DC1 to be the better game. I still find DC2 more fun to play and feel more effort was given to make DC feel like it's own game, but the story, characters, and setting of the first games feels more memorable to me.

As for DC3...definitely not a fan. I still don't even understand the point of the game...

La Femme Fatale

Super Moderator
I recently re-played both game recently on PC. I used to love DC2 when I was younger and considered it to be the better game, but now in days I find DC1 to be the better game. I still find DC2 more fun to play and feel more effort was given to make DC feel like it's own game, but the story, characters, and setting of the first games feels more memorable to me.

As for DC3...definitely not a fan. I still don't even understand the point of the game...
I definitely agree. When I was younger I always liked DC 2 better... and I realize now it's was solely because you just shoot dinosaurs for 2 hours straight without having to put much thought into anything.

The first game is far more difficult, but the characters, storyline, etc etc is a great deal more sophisticated.

Thoix Heoro

That's digusting.
I definitely agree. When I was younger I always liked DC 2 better... and I realize now it's was solely because you just shoot dinosaurs for 2 hours straight without having to put much thought into anything.

The first game is far more difficult, but the characters, storyline, etc etc is a great deal more sophisticated.
Now in days I like the challenge. It also make me fear the dinosaurs a bit more because I have only three weapons and very little ammo. If Dino Crisis ever comes back, I hope they keep more of the survival/horror aspect of the game and gives the player more options of not facing dinos, such as using stealth and using alternate routes to keep out of the dinos eye contact.

I'd also like Regina and co. to act like they did in DC1, where they felt more like professionals but with human qualities.

Taylor the Impaler

I like this script from the Q&A section of the Japanese DC2 guide:
Dino Crisis 2 Official Guide Book said:
"Dino Crisis and Dino Crisis 2 focused their horror in two different ways. Whereas the first game focused on tight spaces where the player is unable to escape a running enemy, the second has open spaces where the player is perpetually ambushed."