The Science of Dino Crisis - Third Energy Explained

Taylor the Impaler

Third Energy Physics Research
Welcome new researchers. The following is the recorded development data of the Third Energy Project.
Recital of classified information outside facility walls is punishable by law.​

Dr. Edward Kirk said:
"Third Energy Basic Concept"

The technology to extract energy from the ions in the atmosphere. That is the heart of Third Energy. If you control the flow of ions by ionizing the constitution of the air, then you can extract the resultant electron movement as energy.
The basic concept is simple The electrons from which energy of the movement was extracted, combines with ions to once again form the original constitution.

The Various Potentials of the Third Energy

The Third Energy is a system that initiates a reaction from the particles of the atmosphere and transfers that motion into energy. The results of such depend on how much energy is produced, contrasted with how well it can be controlled.

1. ) At low energy with fair stabilization, it can produce infinite energy from the air. Creating the perfect alternate clean energy source.

2.) At high energy with high stabilization, it will serve as the ultimate weapon.

3.) At extraordinarily power levels, it will result in space and time manipulation.

- If poorly stabilized, the time wrap will result in unpredictable point in time "exchange" in selective space.
- If properly stabilized, it may grant safe travel between time. This is a considerably high advancement.

4.) If stabilization completely fails, it becomes beyond control and evokes an “overload.” At this point, the generator becomes unstable and vaporizes everything within its radial capacity. The weaponized version of the Third Energy works by being able to control this outcome.

Third Energy Travel – Same Space, Different Time

The extraordinary high energy levels advance the system into space-time manipulation. This time wrap functions by transferring a pocket in space to that of a different time; forward or back. The incident on Ibis Island, for example, exchanged creatures that occupied that same space during a different time into the present. The very same that was on the island millions of years ago. The 2010 incident shifted a radius of structures and exchanged it with a jungle that shared that same space in a different time. So what is transferred is not random, it is according to specific occupation of space.

This however, is the Third Energy acting on its own. If perfected, it may grant safe travel between time and may even select when. Such an advancement requires a high level of technology to construct.

-----

If you require further explanation, or have your own data to input, you may specify below.

I love the idea of delving into the fictional Third Energy theory... however I'm not the brightest and typically need things described in laymen's terms, or even simplified metaphors.
So forgive me if I am incorrect but: A Third Energy machine would be making ions move, and extracting the energy from the movement? Like, a treadmill that powers itself as someone runs on it?

If that were the case, the eventual goal would be a Third Energy generator that acts as an advanced perpetual motion machine; generating enough to power itself, and a surplus to be used elsewhere. To get to that point would be costly indeed, I imagine one might have to go through several "generations" of Third Energy generators powered by conventional means first.

One other curiosity is the points in time seen in the Ibis Island, and the Edward City. Supposedly the incidents gave us glimpses of far into the past and far off into the future. Nothing recent or recognizable in either, which makes me wonder if they are points of least resistance in time... or perhaps, given the unusual spread of creatures reported; other dimensions completely.

Taylor the Impaler

I will try to put it as simply as I can.

There are three things the Third Energy can do. What it does is depending on how much energy is produced.

1.) Little energy - Clean energy source

2.) A Lot of energy - Weapon

3.) Tremendous energy - Time wrap

The more energy you produce, the better you need to stabilize it. Or else it could end in catastrophe.

For more details, reassess the first post at the top

So forgive me if I am incorrect but: A Third Energy machine would be making ions move, and extracting the energy from the movement? Like, a treadmill that powers itself as someone runs on it?

If that were the case, the eventual goal would be a Third Energy generator that acts as an advanced perpetual motion machine; generating enough to power itself, and a surplus to be used elsewhere.
You're pretty much right. Although I'm not certain if the generator powers itself, the energy it produces to create the desired result (clean energy, weapon, etc.) is from the TE process.

To get to that point would be costly indeed, I imagine one might have to go through several "generations" of Third Energy generators powered by conventional means first.
Yes, absolutely. It is a long process of trail and error. Results and experimentation. This is one of the reasons why the Third Energy Data disc is crucial for the missions, it is required to further its potential.

TE technology gets better as more research is done. By 2010 (DC2) they are able to build time-travel devices; although it's not absolute. It's not until around 2055 (Noah's Ark) where they perfect TE time travel enough to construct portals that are able to control exactly when and what comes through.

One other curiosity is the points in time seen in the Ibis Island, and the Edward City. Supposedly the incidents gave us glimpses of far into the past and far off into the future. Nothing recent or recognizable in either, which makes me wonder if they are points of least resistance in time... or perhaps, given the unusual spread of creatures reported; other dimensions completely.
Are you asking me to elaborate how TE time travel works?

Can you refine this question? Be more specific?

Last edited:

Taylor the Impaler

I'd like to expand on the "Overload" Phenomenon.

To specify, there are two types of the Overload - each determined by how much energy is produced before maintenance failure.

1.) At high energy, and if the stabilizer fails too prematurely, the result is obliteration.

The huge amount of energy creates chain reactions that begin to disintegrate the surrounding air. The ensuing explosion will then vaporize everything within its radial capacity. This is what happened to Dr.Kirk first research lab, the accident he used to fake his death. The weaponized version of the Third Energy works by being able to control this outcome; what Kirk promised the Borginian Military.​

2.) At more substantial energy levels, and if the stabilizer holds up for a bit but not ultimately, the result is time shift.

The extraordinary high energy levels advance the system into its space-time altering potential. If an overload is caused at this point, a massive geographical time shift will occur. The consuming explosion will transfer the affected radius into a different point in time. This is what happens at the end of DC1, and the beginning of DC2.​

I'd also like to make note that the incident that brought dinosaurs on Ibis Island was NOT an overload. There are differences between the 2009 experiment and the "overload" phenomenon.

The Ibis Facility researchers were well aware of the overload of the old facility, and worked tirelessly to prevent this from happening. Mainly building a Stabilizer that would match the power of the Initializer.

Notices to the Staff said:
"Three years ago, the Third Energy destroyed the facility and killed as many as 150 personnel, just from a single overflowing accident. So, to prevent a similar disaster from happening, we will take every possible precaution to reinforce our security."
Notice Messages 1 said:
"As a final reminder, if the "overload" occurs in this laboratory, it will mean the obliteration of the entire facility."

So given that the facility is still intact when SORT arrives, I do not think this was the result of such. To explain Dr.Kirk's notes after the experiment:

Doctor's Journal said:
"Despite that progress, we have been unable to advance the development of the "Stabilizer" safety valve since the accident that happened three years ago. The "Third Energy Theory" will surely alter human history drastically.

But as long as there is an uncertain element regarding the control of this power, even if it is only 0.1% of a probability, my work will be nothing but a terrible failure.

The restraining power of the "Stabilizer" we used in tonight's experiment was insufficient."

This is in the context of the Stabilizer failing to meet his expectations to uphold the standards for use as a weapon. Which was (secretly) the point of the whole project.
Old Document said:
"The power of the weapon depends on how much energy we can restrain before the explosion occurs. In other words, the capability of the Stabilizer is the key to everything."
But the generator did not give the results he wanted (although was very intrigued by the outcome of the experiment). Also note that he specifies "safety valve" and not the stabilizer as a whole. This meaning that it is not yet safe enough to use as a weapon.

Going along, if you want to know what would have happened if the generator did "overload," look no further than what happens at the end of the game. Which Regina has to intentionally overflow the energy levels to result in this outcome.

Now why is this overload different than the accident three years before? Because the Ibis Generator was much bigger and better (due to more funding and research) capable of producing much higher energy levels - advancing the Third Energy system into its "time altering" potential. Vise versa, this is why no time shift occurs in the first accident in 2006. And also the work of the new stabilizer technology had vastly improved (not for a weapon, but for the generator to not blow up prematurely) being able enough to match higher energy levels.

So this is why the dinosaurs that appear on the island are not because of an "overload," but simply the result of the experiment.

Last edited: