Replaying for Nostalgia

Xranger60

I'll probably end up doing the same next time. I got the feeling I was saving time by just going after the completed stabilizer and initializer towards the end, instead of Rick's choice.

Kind of wish DC1 had a ranking system.

I regretted not using the small key to unlock the boxes in B1 before I was cut off from the facility. I looked online and it turns out I wasn't missing much. Wasn't nearly as bad as neglecting to pick up the magnum in Code Veronica.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
To be honest, the first time I played CV, I missed the magnum. (Not on purpose, mind you, I just missed it. *shrugs* I thought I was never going to beat Alexia.)

Once I tried putting the stabilizer and initializer together and it just took too long for my tastes. The dinosaurs on the lower levels aren't bad enough to willingly try and put the stuff together.

La Femme Fatale

Super Moderator
Except for once in the middle of the game (right before you meet Kirk for the first time), I've almost always chosen Gail's option. Rick's take too long, especially at the end when you're trying to both find the parts for the initializer and stabilizer and then that STUPID game thing where you have to assemble them - which I could not do for the sake of my life. And then, I chose Gail's more often because you usually got a longer Dr. Kirk scene... and I have a soft spot for that twisted little nugget.

As for the tranqs - when I was a kid I could NEVER seem to figure them out. Then when I replayed the game several times last year I finally understood how to make those poison darts that kill any dinosaur (except the T-Rex, obviously) in one shot and I went to town with making those lil' buggers. I never needed any of my rescuscitation packs so I had tons.

Xranger60

To be honest, the first time I played CV, I missed the magnum. (Not on purpose, mind you, I just missed it. *shrugs* I thought I was never going to beat Alexia.)

Once I tried putting the stabilizer and initializer together and it just took too long for my tastes. The dinosaurs on the lower levels aren't bad enough to willingly try and put the stuff together.
That's exactly what happened to me in CV. I had to replay the final boss a few times, but luckily I had the AK with something like 87% left. Those little "mushroom" creatures were very annoying.

Agreed. It just seemed easier to me to go for the completed parts. I feared heading to the area because of the huge dinos, but with a poison dart or two, it wasn't a big deal.

Except for once in the middle of the game (right before you meet Kirk for the first time), I've almost always chosen Gail's option. Rick's take too long, especially at the end when you're trying to both find the parts for the initializer and stabilizer and then that STUPID game thing where you have to assemble them - which I could not do for the sake of my life. And then, I chose Gail's more often because you usually got a longer Dr. Kirk scene... and I have a soft spot for that twisted little nugget.

As for the tranqs - when I was a kid I could NEVER seem to figure them out. Then when I replayed the game several times last year I finally understood how to make those poison darts that kill any dinosaur (except the T-Rex, obviously) in one shot and I went to town with making those lil' buggers. I never needed any of my rescuscitation packs so I had tons.
It was real nice to see the extended Kirk/Gail scene. I didn't get to watch that last time since I went mostly with Rick's choices. I forgot how much longer Rick's choices take, but hearing it from you guys, it was a good thing I went with almost all of Gail's this time.

Same here. The first time I played I had no idea what I was doing. I may have even been playing on easy. One thing is for sure- I wasn't mixing up any poison darts. Poison darts are absolutely essential for getting through, in my opinion.

Terramax

Old post is old, but I guess it's the most relevant so I'll post it here.

Well, I'm new to the forums. I owned he first Dino Crisis when it first came out all those years ago and played it to death. I had already experienced RE1 and 2 but this game was something else. What with the game being 3D, which made it look a lot cleaner and more clinical to the grimy RE titles, I somehow developed more of a liking to Dino Crisis.

I remember buying the official a players guide for it which included interviews with the developers, and as well as the main walkthrough, even a speedrun walkthrough, back before uploading speedrun videos on the net was even a the glint in people's eyes. I loved that walkthrough. The writers of it clearly enjoyed the game they were playing. And so did I!

Counted completing it something like 14 times in the space of a few weeks, which is impressive for me as I've very rarely played a game over that many times.

Kinda played it to death however, and sold my copy off. I've played it the odd occassion from the start via an emulator, but recently started playing through the whole first game again to find it still holds up extremely well. As well as the clinical atmosphere (which I often find more relaxing than tense, ironically), the puzzles and the way that you deal with dinosaurs is what still makes this game unique when compared to other survival horror games of the era.

Regarding the Dinos, I distinctly remember always avoiding shooting them dead unless it was a boss. I often used to use the tranquilizer darts and putting them to sleep if need be, however my evasion skills were so good that more-often-than-not I just ran rings around them and avoided confrontations altogether (I used to do the same thing with RE1).

Secondly, the puzzles. Sure, there are a fair few key searching puzzles, but there are also some very creative and FUN puzzles that could have only been achieved because of the 3D game engine. Move the boxes with the crane, the pipe puzzle, the various computer puzzles, they all remain fun to play through after all these years. It's a pity there probably aren't enough of them.

Not completed the game yet. I'm at the part where the T-rex chomped the helicopter. But I've been glued to this title for several hours now.

Oh, yeah, I can't end this post without special mention to Regina. She was one of my first virtual babe crushes, alongside Ayame from Tenchu and Reiko from Ridge Racer Type 4. I was really surprised when they changed her features to make her look younger and sexier in the 2nd game.

Regarding the 2nd title, I'm on the verge of acquiring a copy of that title to play through again. I'll be honest, I never enjoyed the 2nd game half as much as the first title. The action was fun to a point, but there came a time when it was just OTT for me. I also missed the enclosed feeling of the first title, seeing as you always seem to be moving from one new area to the next one throughout. I've always enjoyed games with locations that you return to several times over and really get to memorize their layouts i.e. the first RE and DC. More recently, games such as Nier. I remember completing DC2 just once and never touching it again.

However, I might see the game from a different light now. It might have been a good thing for the sequel to be such a radical departure from the first game. It means both title remain unique entries and there's a reason to play both games for two completely different experiences.

Never played the 3rd title. Always wanted to, but just never got round to ordering it. I've heard bad things about it but if I ever do get round to playing, I'll approach with an open mind.

Now, I know this post has gone on for far too long, but can someone tell me how to mix items to make tranquilizer darts for the first game? Thanks.

La Femme Fatale

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

I believe to make the poison darts you have to mix L+++ darts with a resuscitation pack. Just try to mix one dart with one pack so you can get as many poison darts out of your supplies as possible. You get the L+++ darts by mixing an. aids and multipliers and what not with the lower darts like S+ and it'll eventually just build up to the higher darts. Or at least that's what I did - I don't know if maybe @Magnolia Grandiflora or someone else used them a bit more technically - I just sort of threw sh!t together.

And I'm in the same boat as you - I think I've completed DC more often then just about any game I've played - perhaps bar Resident Evil 4.

Terramax

Ah, cool, thanks. What I'm looking for is how to create darts using items. I can't remember if it was possible or not. I'm sure it was, as I recall playing through the entire game using just darts.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
It is possible to create darts using other items if I'm not mistaken. Try mixing an an. Aid with multipliers and hemostats. Just remember when you're mixing darts to try and only mix one dart with things because once mixed it'll revert to one dart anyway and you'll lose the extra darts.