Replaying for Nostalgia

Xranger60

Hello everyone,

After over 12 years, I took out my copy of Dino Crisis and decided to give it another run. It had been way too long since I'd seen what a survival horror game rendered completely in 3d looked like on the PlayStation. I mostly game on a new PC built from the bottom up for the newest games, but I must say that even after all these years, it didn't take me too long to adjust to the graphics. I loved hearing the save theme again.

Every time I play an older game, the experience calls for me to reflect on how different things are than when I first popped in the game. When I purchased the game in fall of 2000, I was able to find it new for $20, and I was delighted to bring it home and try it. I hadn't yet completed any survival horror games. I'd tried the Resident Evil games, but it would be another year before I tore through all of them.

Now, at nearly 26, I often wonder how many other people have gone back and played through games like this, and have thought about how much life has changed, not only generally, but individually. I'd love to hear from anyone that has had a similar experience.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
Hello and welcome to the Dino Crisis forums! :D

Ah, playing for nostalgia; I do it all the time! I love going back and playing Resident Evil, Crash Bandicoot, the older Tekken's, Dino Crisis and many others just to relive the old days. (I always keep my old favorites around because I'm just that type of person.) It also makes me a little sad too, to be honest, because it just makes me realize that they don't make games like this anymore. Even the series' that have stuck it out, like Resident Evil, just aren't the same anymore and that's reason enough to keep the old ones around. ;)

Xranger60

I'm the same way- I keep mostly everything around, including GamePro magazines. They definitely don't make games like this anymore. When you play a game like Dino Crisis, you realize that gaming has changed dramatically since then. It is increasingly rare that a developer will release a single-player oriented game, and even rarer that a single-player game would focus on isolation and puzzle-solving in a horror atmosphere.

Speaking of Resident Evil, I'm one of those people that could have kept playing those games as Capcom created them right up through 2002. I considered the release of Remake followed by Zero the golden age of the series. With Outbreak and RE4 on the horizon, it seemed as though the series would continue in the same direction. I hadn't realized what was happening until RE4 was late in development.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
I know what you mean about Resident Evil. I couldn't even get through all of Resident Evil 4 and, while I played Resident Evil 5, I wasn't impressed and didn't even bother with Resident Evil 6 aside from the demo. (Which I was pretty disappointed in.) I really enjoyed Operation Raccoon City, though! I know a lot of people didn't like it for whatever reason but I really thought it was a step back in the right direction despite the bad reviews.

Not sure if you're already a member or not, but if you really enjoy Resident Evil, you should think about joining REN! Over half of the members here are members there.

Xranger60

I tried RE4, and I probably advanced about 75% through, but I never finished it. I'd like to play it fully through at least once. I'd say that on its own it stands as a good game, I just couldn't call it RE. RE5 was a fun game to play with a friend, but again, doesn't feel like an RE to me. I started playing RE6 with a friend but it seems too generic for me.

Speaking of classic RE: The best shot we have at seeing another "traditional" RE game is for "the team" to release 1.5. If you haven't check it out yet, read about it at the-horror.com on the forums.

Thanks for the tip, I always like to read through RE forums. I don't post often. I have an account at REFan that I've had since 2004, and I post on GameFAQS from time to time. I was attracted to this forum because it seems like one of the few places that features a (semi) active discussion Dino Crisis. It's hard enough to find people that play this game, let alone a dedicated site like this.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
Well Ms. Femme La Fatale and Mr. Steve are the reasons for this site. She bugged him about it so much, I'm sure he felt obligated to make one. :p

I'm actually excited about the Revelations port on PS3 because it looked and felt, from what I've seen, very much like a Resident Evil game. Now if only we could get Capcom to make another Dino Crisis game that doesn't involve outer space, we should be good.

Xranger60

I'm glad they did!

Speaking of classic RE, I'm excited about Revelations as well. From all accounts it's as much of a return to form as we can expect. It deserves a nice home on the consoles. I never thought about buying a 3DS so Revelations has mostly been out of sight, out of mind for me.

I understand that Operation Raccoon City is a hit or miss game, and I've heard of some people loving it. I would think about buying it for PC, but it's just that I have a backlog of other games I'd like to play before I get to it. I might buy it when the price drops to about $10-15 or so.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
I loved ORC, I saw it as a sort of return to old with a new action-y spin and it sat well with me. *shrugs* I just don't understand why they can't make an entire game like Lost In Nightmares. That was what everyone was looking for, what everyone was harping about and it only lasted 15 - 20 minutes. :(

Xranger60

It's really unfortunate. To follow up on that thought, there's a lot of support for a RE2 remake. People hold justified hesitations that Capcom would make it garbage though.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
My personal opinion is: if Resident Evil 2 is already so great and so perfect, then why do you want a remake? What will a remake do?

Xranger60

I think it's because we were all spoiled by Remake. Developers rarely remake a game so well. If that was the kind of effort we could expect, I wouldn't mind an RE2 remake, but otherwise, it'd be more depressing than anything.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
I guess so I just...you can't expect a Resident Evil 2 remake to be as good as the Remake. (Especially with how Capcom is handling new installments to the series, you know?)

Xranger60

Yeah, unfortunately that's the truth.

I've just had to create a new game in Dino Crisis. I realized I forgot to save the memory card file before I exited the emulator last time. Everything's much quicker when you know the order, though. I'm down in B1.

I need to be cognizant of what I can mix up. I try to avoid using any ammo at all, and I'm picking up everything along the way. What's good to mix, and what can I make? Should I be going for all tranq. darts?

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
I usually mix up as many tranq darts as I can - even more poison darts if I can manage. That's usually my strategy anyway since ammo doesn't really help in this game. (DC2 on the other hand...) Either that or I get my unlimited grenade launcher and use that when I don't have any darts. I've also done run-throughs where I don't shoot anything, aside from the T-Rex and avoid everything else.

Xranger60

I'm currently up to point where it's time to use the communications room, and I'm about to insert the antenna key.

I mixed up some tranqs, but I shouldn't have mixed them as much, because I've got 3 L++, and apparently I could have just mixed L with Resuscitation and had a poison dart.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
If you look around, there's a guide online that tells you what the different mixes make so you don't make that mistake again. ;)

Xranger60

Interestingly, I thought mixing charts would be all over the place, but so far I have only found information on mixing poison darts.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
Mmm...I just did a quick search and unfortunately the one I used when I was doing my first run-through of DC is no longer there. (I couldn't find it anyway.) This at least shows some of the mixing outcomes without having to go through all of the trouble of doing it yourself.

Xranger60

Thanks for the video. I just finished the game, and I remembered how abrupt the ending seems. I had forgotten that there is no traditional "boss battle" against the T-Rex, and that's fine with me, but I had kept expecting it throughout the game.

I ended up never using any shotgun bullets, slag or normal, and I only used the pistol once. I was saving my ammo for a big fight or two that didn't happen. The poison darts were absolutely necessary in B2 and B3, though. Those bigger dinos are a pain. Hardly ever used tranq anymore because I was mixing everything for the poison darts. I never picked up the final shotgun upgrade, and there was something inside the room with the staff beds that I never used (some sort of device with a screen that uses a keycard).

I wanted to make this run-through as different than what I can remember of last time, so I chose most of Gail's choices. The only exception was choosing to go after Tom near the beginning. Besides coming off as a douche, Gail creates choices that have one thing in common- tactically, they all involve fighting your way out of the situation. I always hesitated to choose his way because I feared I would be short on supplies.

I'm going to do another run- to familiarize myself with the layout and to have fun with some ammo. I'll aim to kill more dinos, especially the raptors in the beginning. This time I clocked in at 5:22 with 10 saves.

Magnolia Grandiflora

The Invisible Woman
I always thought Gail's choices were smarter, not to mention they save time in spots. Rick's choices were always easier and took a bit longer, especially with the puzzles and what not, so I believe I used Rick's choices a lot through my very first play through but then I started going with Gail. (Except at the end when the choice depends on whether or not Gail lives; I like him so I usually go with Rick's choice and he ends up living.)