motion capture in DC series?

Kapu

hey guys. i was looking at some DC2 cutscenes and i noticed the characters have a real sense of weight when they move, and it made me wonder if the cutscenes were motion-captured? if they are, i didn't realize games were using mo-cap as early as 2000. it's kind of interesting.

i plugged "dino crisis motion capture" into google and i'm getting a bunch of websites that list motion capture as one of the features of DC1, as well as 3d graphics and 'voice'...just voice. voice is such a great feature? lmao. but anyway, i'm in the middle of replaying DC1 and the characters definitely don't feel motion captured. lol. i wonder what in the game is motion captured if anything?

what do you guys think?

Angel

Administrator
Administrator
Hi! Welcome to the forums :D

I've not played DC2 yet - although we've just bought it to add to our collection - but I wouldn't have thought from the outset that even DC1 had mo-cap in it. But that's probably because I'm so used to current mo-cap usage that there's no way I'd be able to tell it had been used at all. Maybe just in the cinematics? Or perhaps how the characters move slightly more fluidly than they would if they were manipulated without mo-cap? I'll be honest - I don't know enough about the method to even be talking about it but I agree, it's interesting :)

I wonder if it was particularly expensive to use back then? I mean, it's not as sophisticated as it is now but it must have cost to use it for a video game of all things back then.

Kapu

i admit i haven't played DC2 either - well, i played about 5 minutes of it but i didn't really care for it :/ i did wind up on YouTube watching some clips from the game though, and that's when i noticed how realistic the cutscene movements seem. it's hard to judge by the FMVs, but the actual in-game cutscenes give you a better idea. check it out:

maybe i'm reading into it too far, but the characters really seem to have a weight to them when the move. which is not impossible to have in a hand made animation, but for it too look so natural is a challenge. but yeah, i wonder (if it is mo-cap) if it was expensive? maybe it's because motion capture has only become popular so recently that it seems weird to think that it could have been used in a game already 12 years old.

the other animations outside of the cutscenes (running, opening doors - the animations you see when you're controlling the character) look hand made. good, but they don't have that weight that the cutscene animations do.

maybe it's just that the characters were so stiff in the cutscene during the first game that they make this game look so much better. lol. by the way, thank you for the welcome. :)